Its been a little whole since I’ve done any baking and I’ve really missed it! So I decided last weekend it was time to make a proper winter pudding, spotted dick and homemade custard. Whilst the pudding wasn’t my favourite I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make custard. I found this recipe on the bbc good food website (which is always a go to when I need a bit of inspiration) and its from the queen of baking herself, Mary Berry, so it was going to be the only recipe I would trust for my first attempt.
4 Egg Yolks
30g Caster Sugar
2 Tbsp. Cornflour
1 Vanilla Pod
570ml Whole Milk
55ml Single Cream
1. Add the milk and cream to a saucepan, cut open the vanilla pod, scrape out most of the beans and add these and the pod to the mixture. Slowly bring them to a simmer over a low heat.
2. Remove the vanilla pod.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until you get a smooth mixture.
4. Slowly pour in the hot milk mixture to the eggs, constantly whisking to avoid curdling.
5. Pour back into the saucepan and slowly heat until thickened, stirring regularly.
6. Once thickened, it’s ready to serve.
Of which is sugars: 14.7g
Of which is saturated: 6.2g